August 14, 2023, 1:00pm CT
The Core Bibliographic Conceptual Models (BCM) Interest Group invites you to its Summer 2023 Session, which will take place on Monday, August 14, 2023, at 1 pm CT (11am PT, 2 pm ET) and will consist of two presentations that address, in different ways, the theme of Bibframe Hubs.
The session is free and open to all, but registration is required.
On Bibframe Hubs: 2023 Version
Kevin Ford, Library of Congress
There are nearly than 2.8M Hubs in ID.LOC.GOV. Of those, about 60% were created by extracting Title and NameTitle authority records from the LC/NACO file. The remaining 40% were extracted from LC’s MARC bibliographic data, from fields containing uniform titles and/or main entries. The MARC sources for BF Hubs strongly indicate their role: Hubs are aggregation and collocation resources. Hubs make it possible, for example, to gather all of the Spanish translations of Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer or to capture in which other BF Works Francisco Tarrega’s Capricho árabe is included.
Hubs were partially the result of adding the entire LC Bibliographic dataset to ID.LOC.GOV as Bibframe and needing a way to connect disparate BF Works (from the Bibliographic dataset) together. In this sense, their development was need based and organic.
This presentation will review the genesis of Hubs at LC and describe their role in LC’s Bibframe ecosystem by demonstrating how little has changed since January 2020 when first formally presented. It will also discuss additions and modifications made to Hubs since their introduction in June 2019, and their official inclusion in the main Bibframe vocabulary, and how LC sees them at this time fitting into the Bibframe environment.
About the Speaker
Kevin Ford is a Librarian and Linked Data Applications Specialist in the Network Development and MARC Standards Office at the Library of Congress. He currently works on BIBFRAME, focusing on how best to bring efficiency to the Library’s BIBFRAME dataset for the purposes of scale. Previously at the Library of Congress, Kevin was a key member of the original LC group developing Library’s Bibliographic Framework Initiative and he was also the project manager for the Library of Congress’s Linked Data service, id.loc.gov. In between his tours at the Library, Kevin managed the Art Institute of Chicago’s digital asset management system, which was designed completely around the principles of Linked Data. He also spent time at MarkLogic, where he specialized on leveraging semantics and RDF within a document store for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to boutique customers.
Navigating Between the LRM/RDA and BIBFRAME Resource Entities
Damian Iseminger, Library of Congress
The Library Resource Model (LRM), and by extension RDA, models an information resource as consisting of 4 different resource entities, LRM-E2 Work, LRM-E3 Expression, LRM-E4 Manifestation, and LRM-E5 Item, each connected to one another by specific relationships. The BIBFRAME model, on the other hand, models an information resource as consisting of 3 different resource entities: BF Work, BF Instance, and BF Item, also connected by specific relationships. This presentation will examine both models as regards their resource modelling and possible maps between the two models, especially with regards to how BF Hub could be utilized when creating a map from the LRM Work and Expression entities to the BF Work entity.
About the Speaker
Damian Iseminger is Head of the Music Bibliographic Access Section of the Music Division at the Library of Congress, a position he has held since January 2017. Prior to joining the Library of Congress, he was the Head of Technical Services for the New England Conservatory Library from 2007-2017. Damian is heavily involved with the development of Resource Description and Access, the international standard for creating metadata for resources collected by libraries, and is the current chair of the RDA Steering Committee Technical Working Group. At the Library of Congress he is participating in the development of Library of Congress Policy Statements and Metadata Guidance Documentation for use with RDA with the Policy, Training, and Cooperative Programs Division of the Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access directorate.
We hope to see you there!
Thomas Dousa (co-chair) | University of Chicago | email@example.com
Daniel Lovins (co-chair) | Yale University | firstname.lastname@example.org