The Core Emerging Technology Trends Program features a panel discussion with technology leaders from the library world. Panelists choose two technology trends they anticipate will impact libraries and users in the near future. These trends are introduced individually by the panelists and discussed by the entire panel with guidance from a moderator. The audience is encouraged to participate with questions.
Interested in being a panelist? Fill out the form.
The Core Emerging Technology Trends Committee will review submissions and select panelists based on topics, speaker experience, and the overall balance of the panel.
Proposed topics should:
- Be technology focused
- Have the potential to impact the lives of our patrons within 2-10 years
- Have the potential to cause a significant shift or disruption in the library and information world
Some example topics include but are not limited to:
- 3D printing
- 5G technology
- Artificial intelligence
- Internet of things
- Open access
- Quantum computing
- Sustainable technology
Please describe the trend as well as the ways in which you see it impacting libraries and library users within the next several years. Please Consider:
- What changes might this technology bring to the ways libraries operate and provide services?
- How could the development of this technology create new opportunities and disruptions culturally, socially, and economically?
- What will this mean for our users, both in their daily lives and in the way they interact with information?
We are not looking for:
- Developments to a specific brand or software or hardware
- Current use of technology in libraries
Panelists will be invited to participate in the session based on:
- Relevance and possible impact of proposed topics
- Expression of possible impact of proposed topics on libraries
- Relation of proposed topics to others proposed
- Speaker experience, credentials, and presentation skills
- Consideration for balancing the panel with representatives from a variety of backgrounds and library types